Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hectic Couple of days

Well the last couple of days have not really been hectic, but none the less very eventful.  I have made some real promising leads on work.  There is a skate shop just down the street from the backpackers I am working at.  I went in the other day to try and find some information about a NZ board factory.  I had heard that there was a factory somewhere on the south island that presses there own boards.  Dean, the shop owner, told me that the factory is run by an english guy by the name of Dave North.  The factory happens to be twenty minutes form here.  Yesterday Dean gave me a ride up the Dave's factory so that I could meet him.  It was a super rad place.  Pretty much in the middle of nowhere, we are driving around the mountains to get to his property and then all the sudden there is a huge vert ramp in the distance.  Dave has a 13 foot vert ramp in his yard.  Pretty awesome.  He also has a small board factory that him and his wife run.  In addition to making boards, Dave also builds concrete skateparks.  Fate would have it that he is about to start a new park in two weeks in Christchurch.  After talking with him a while and skating the vert ramp for a bit, I am more than likely going to work on the park.  I just need to get my visa stuff taken care of.  Its not a real big park, but looks really fun.  A big flowing bowl with some bigger sections and a small street course.  Im looking forward to building parks again.  
Yesterday was the first day in almost three months that I have skated.  Both Dave and Dean kept asking "and why didn't you bring your board?"  I don't really regret not bringing my board, but its funny how things worked out.  I came over here trying to get away form everything I knew and try new things.  I thought that being in new places and doing new things would bring me nothing but happiness.  And it has made me happy.  I have had a blast traveling thus far doing rad things with Sarah.  But even doing such things I'm still quite aware how far away I am from home.  Yesterday I finally felt at home.  It was so nice just sitting down and talking to some people that had the exact same interests and passions as me.  Skating vert and walking through a board factory felt so good.  
Dave North's backyard sanctuary
Nelson Creek Skateboards

No comments: