Thursday, February 19, 2009

Made it to Greymouth

Well I don't know if you were checking the weather, but it rained today.....ALOT.   We left westport yesterday and made it to Paunakaikei.  It was by far the gnaliest bike ride I had ever been on.  Huge climbs and subsequent drops all day.  At lunch we ran into a slew of other bikers.  It was so awesome.  There was another couple from indiana, a guy from switzerland, and a couple from the UK.  We all sat and talked for a while sharing stories of our tour.  Later on in the day Sarah and I ran into yet another couple from Taiwan.  On that note, we have been meeting tons and tons of people from all over the world.  So far we've met people from , switzerland, tons from Israel, a couple Germans, heaps from the UK, Scotland, Aussies, several Americans, Taiwan, Several from France, and even some Canadians.  We've also met numerous hospitable Kiwis.  They are super nice here.  Its a lot like southern hospitality minus the redneck.  TOnight were are staying in the Duke Backpackers in Greymouth.  We were referred to them by a traveling Israeli we met in St Arnaud.  It is run my an Israeli couple who have been in New Zealand for several years.  They are too nice and more than happy to answer anything we ask.  We told them that the Israeli had told us about them.  The owner told us that when you check out they give you a card with the backpackers info on it.  You are instructed not to keep it, but to pass it on to a traveller that you meet.  The only requirement is that they must be nice and friendly.  This is the card that Maton gave us.  Awesome.  Needless to say because of this the place is filled with super nice people from all over the world.  Everyone starts up conversations and everyone is smiling.  Very peaceful place. 
So After we checked in today we went to the Grocery to get some material for dinner.  We couldn't resist and filled a bag with some gummy worms.  You know the ones you fill yourself and weigh at the end.  Well if anyone knows Sarah you'll know that she couldn't wait until we checked out to eat some.  So we are walking around the store and Sarah is stuffing gummy worms in her mouth and the manager comes up to us and says something along the lines of "you can not be eating those. You have to wait until they are weighed and then you pay.  It is considered theft to eat them in the store.  I am going to charge you ten dollars.  Either that or I will call the police!"   WHAT A PRICK!!   When we got to the register, he tried to have us charged fifteen dollars.  This guy was out to get us.  he was a total nerd and hated his job.  Walking home we felt better by telling ourselves that we were on vacation and he was at work.  (Sarah would have my head if I made her out to be the bad guy.  I was totally eating gummy worms but he caught her with one in her mouth!) and she wasn't stuffing them in her mouth she was gingerly placing them on her tongue and slowly chewing as to savour the forbidden treat!
I totally forgot to tell you about today; It rained today and we got wet.  Really wet.  It rained all last night, but this morning it looked as though it might clear so we decided to push it to Greymouth.  Not long after we left it started to rain.  There were times when it let up but it pretty much rained all day.  Match that up with some gnarly hill climbs (six total climbs) equals  an awesome day.  I was as wet as I could be singing at the top of my lungs riding my bike in the middle of nowhere and having a blast.  I stopped and looked back to see Sarah not enjoying my angelic voice.  I hummed the rest of the way to Greymouth.


P.S. on a completely side note I would like to quote my friend Aaron; "Men + Time = Beards"  more info HERE  wise words from a man with an awesome beard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SARAH! I don't know what I'm going to do, you're not around, and now Cassie doesn't teach yoga anymore....me and Katie miss you a lot. Hope NZ has some good tasting coffee to keep you going!