Sunday, February 15, 2009

A little bit of both!

First off some pictures for those who wish to be visually appeased....
We took a rather nice and long hike up to parachute rocks that over look Lake Rotoiti. It was Sarah's first hike ever and she did awesome. It was a pretty hard hike and I am super proud of her.
Sarah partway into her first hike
Part way into the hike!

Awesome moss

Sarah climbing the last bit upon parachute rocks
Sarah crawling her way to the top of the rocks. Amazing view in the background.

The view from parachute rocks (lake rotoiti below)

Sarah was nervous about the height!!!
She got really nervous on top of the rocks. She actually threw half of her sandwich on the ground trying to wave away some bees. It was quite hilarious.

So. Now that we have secured some free internet, I can afford to be lengthy with my explanation of what we have been doing and what we plan to do. Thats not to say I will indeed write a 20 page expose of our trip but I could if I wanted. I know you have better things to do than read my boring blog, but I don't have anything better to do than to tell myself that people have nothing better to do than to read my blog. So I will undertake this entry as if your life depends on it being grand.
Right now we are sitting in a beautiful riverside cafe called "Rock Snot Cafe" it is right outside of Murchison and is next to our cabin area. Its open to the outside and sits right on the river. Murchison is a kayak mecca and every so often a group of kayakers will move past us on the river. Quite an epic spot. We are waiting until 1:30 (its 11:34 a.m.) to go white water rafting with Ultimate Descents. THe river is a 3/4+ so it should be a lot of fun. The weather couldn't get any better. Beautiful sunny cloudless day. This will mark Sarah's first white water rafting experience. I can't wait to see the look on her face when we go over the first big rapid.....
I hate to backtrack but my mind doesn't always work on a strict time frame. Yesterday was by far the most beautiful bike ride either of us have ever been on. We rode about 60 km from St Arnaud to just outside of Murchison. The views just never stopped. There was quite a lot of motorcycle traffic on the road due to the quick hills and sharp curves. Every time one went by I couldn't help but think about how much fun it would have been to ride that road on a motorcycle.
The day before yesterday are what the above pictures are about. We took an amazing hike up to Parachute Rocks in the St Arnaud range. It was a rather long and somewhat steep hike but the view at the top was worth it. Like I said above, it was Sarah's first hike. I was confident that she had the ability to do the hike, but was nervous about whether or not she would enjoy it. She put my fears to rest and had a blast. Its hard to complain when your at the top of the mountain and have the best view you've ever had in your life. There were a couple of bees at the top that got a little to close for comfort. Sarah was trying to swat one of them away and ended up throwing half her soundwhich (<------I misspelled that on accident but it was such a beautiful accident that I left it. I'm spelling with an accent!) Not much more to say here. Tomorrow we are getting back on the road and heading towards Westport. I hope all is well in the states....It's amazing here!

2 comments:

grayskull said...

Wow i defiantely dont have as good as of scenery as you guys, but i am having hopefully as much fun as you guys. Much Oi!

johnny said...

Heaps of fun! Awesome. looking forward to reading more. We're off to the Swiss alps on Wednesday. Taking tons of photos and writing similar. Will be doing the same on my blog. Peace!