Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A little one two punch

NZ's largest swing bridge
New Zealand's largest swing bridge. DONT LOOK DOWN!!!!
Hawks crag
They had to cut the road out of the rock!! Dynamite beats rock!
A pretty view for morning coffee break
The view for morning tea
Sarah playing at Murchison
This is the Cafe near our cabin at Murchison. Told you it was an awesome place


Well now for the good stuff. Well the pictures are probably the good stuff, but I feel more confident in my writing. Anyone can take a picture in a place like this, but it takes a true genius to tell stories that invoke the pure emotion that mine do. I think I might give myself to much credit. But alas I continue:
I shall produce this blog entry in order. I shall try to anyway. Well a couple of days ago I left off with our thoughts about going whitewater rafting. We did. and it was fun as hell. We went with a company call Ultimate Descents because we were told that they had really good guides. My personal belief is that when doing something like that guides are just as important as what you are doing. I feel its their job to make it as fun as it is exciting. We weren't let down. The river was somewhat low but still a blast. mostly class three rapids but maybe a four in there. We were in a really small raft so that made it that much more exciting. In the raft was Sarah, Matt from germany, our guide Simon and I. Small group and we were roughly all the same age. We shared lots of laughs as we went through the rapids. Simon let us swim through quite a bit of the rapids and even took us to some sweet cliff jumps. I jumped but sarah said she was too cold. Overall we both had a really good time and thought it was worth the money. Seeing to ourselves that we earned it, we ate our best meal of the trip so far. Chicken, rice, onions, garlic, and some veggies. It was awesome. The next morning we woke somewhat early. actually we didn't wake up early at all. We never do, were on vacation. So as I was saying we woke up when our eyes opened and got ready for the day. The plan was to make it 65 Kms to a small place called Berlins. That was the closest backpackers from Murchison. We made it about 55 km to a place called Inangahau. Weird name but awesome place. I asked about Berlins and they informed me that the backpackers there was full. They did tell me that they did have a campsite though. It was unadvertised and only cost 10 bucks for the both of us. It was complete with a bathroom and kitchen. The people at the store were a breath of fresh air. It was nice to meet some other people that are heavily tattooed. The lady who ran the shop was about as nice as anyone can be and made some of the best food ever had. The three of us talked for awhile about all sorts of stuff, I found most interesting her vies on judgment of tattoos. In New Zealand it is a tradition of the native people (maori) to be heavily tattooed and is a rite of passage to be a face tattoo. She said that it was rather racist to judge someone because of what they have on their skin. I've never thought about it like that.
In the morning we went back to the shop and had some delicious savory muffins. We left Inangahua and started towards Westport. After a really hot and sunny day with the wind blowing in our face, we made it. It was another absolutely beautiful ride. I'm really not sure as what else to say. Ive pretty much brought you up to speed. Its still a whole lot of fun here. oooh ooooh I totally forgot to tell you that I fixed the tent again. At one of the lot that we camped in at Inangahua there was a heap of junk cars and stuff. I was able to pillage some thick fencing wire and with the combination of the binding wire that already had I got it fixed pretty good. The only downside is that I had to permanently attach two section to make it solid. Now the poles wont fit back into the tent sack and I currently have them sticking out of my pannier like a radio antenna. I look like a radio bike from WWII.

Hope everyone finds my wonderful words in good spirits.

No comments: