Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Explanation of sorts

Well, everyone that I skate with asks me the same question when I'm telling the I'm going to New Zealand. I guess that I should precede this post with an explanation of another kind. I am going to New Zealand for three months starting in January. The first month I will be hiking around the south island with my parents. We are then flying back to Auckland and spending five days together. They are then leaving and my girlfriend Sarah is flying over. For the next two months we will be riding bikes around and camping trying to see as much of the country as possible and do as many things as we can afford.
With that said I can finally explain the previous question that I started to tell you about. Everyone always asks me if I'm bringing my skate board. Actually its more of a rhetorical question, like; "your bringing your board, right." Well No. I am not. I have lots of reasons why I want to and lots of more logical reasons why I'm not going to. First of all our means of transportation is going to bicycles. Bicycles require healthy bodies. I personally cannot skate at say 50%. Its 110% every time. I'm not saying I'm a bad ass or anything, its more along the lines that I cant have fun if I try to hold my self back. I've said for a long time that if your not getting hurt, than your not skating hard enough. I cant get hurt over there. Not this trip at least. Who knows maybe I'll go back one day solely to skate or hell, maybe I'll move there. You never know. Ive got plenty of stuff to skate here and my friends are here. I'd rather skate with my friends anyway. Next is space. We are cramming for space as it is without worrying about carrying boards. Sure it could be done but its not worth the hassle for me. Last and not least, Sarah doesn't skate. She has spent allot her her hard earned money to go on this trip with me and I want everything we do to be together. I would feel bad if I made her sit on the sidelines and watch me skate in every town we came across that had a park in it.

With all those good reasons said, This will be the longest period since getting sober that I will be off of my board. I have used it as a means of taking out my anger, frustration, and all sorts of other emotional road blocks. I'm pretty positive however, that while we are in New Zealand I'm not going to have that much to really worry about.
damn, I cannot wait!

1 comment:

Rick Nilson said...

I am sure it will be a trip you both will remember the rest of your lives. I am excited that you have the opportunity to do these things. Best of luck. I will be looking forward to the blogging from New Zealand.